There has been an explosion of online dating sites over the last couple of years with a huge variety of themes. There are special interest sites for almost anything you can think of - outdoor enthusiasts, couch potatoes, religious, non-religious, gays, lesbians, bikers, cooks, hairy biker cooks, Italians, Hispanics, bookworms - like I said, almost anything you can think of.
As well as that, you have the different types of membership sites. There are the large paid sites with many and varied features like chat rooms, Instant Messaging, compatibility profiles, personality testing and, the latest things, mobile dating and video messaging. There are the less expensive paid sites where you get a few of those features and then there are the free sites where you can browse a few profiles but do little else. I don't recommend those but, if money is a real concern, they are better than nothing. So how do you choose the right one for you?
Here are some things to consider:
1. Your needs and preferences. Do you have a particular religion, ethnic type or nationality preference? Do you want to chat to people with the same interests or hobbies as you? Or are you happy with a more general site where you can meet lots of different types of people?
2. Cost. How much do you want or can afford to spend each month on your membership? Do you want to be able to buy a trial membership for 1 week or are you happy to commit to 1 month or longer?
3. Features. Which features are important to you? Do you want a profile matching system or would you prefer to make up your own mind about who is right for you? Do you want to be able to use chat rooms and Instant Messaging or would you be perfectly happy with just email?
4. Some sites offer local private events such as speed dating or even singles traveling adventures. Would you be interested in that?
5. Privacy. Some websites allow you to limit who can view your picture or your profile. Does this matter to you or do you want as much exposure as possible?
6. Safety. Some dating sites do background checks of all subscribers to certify a variety of things such as age, marital status, criminal background, career or income. Would you feel safer and happier having this feature?
These are just some, but not all, of the things you should consider when choosing a dating website or websites. If you do your homework, you can make online dating the pleasurable experience it should be.